Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Where am I?

I spent the last year teaching English on a remote tropical island in the Marshall Islands (boosurvivingparadise.blogspot.com) and now I'm ready for my dose of winter.  I arrived in Bethel, Alaska less than a week ago.  From there, I hopped on a 4-seater plane and took off over the tundra to Kasigluk, Alaska.  The population here is somewhere over 500 people, but Kasigluk is split in half by a river.  I am living and teaching on the Akula side, where the population is a little over 300.  The people here are Yupik, and they speak both English and Yupik.  As a 1st and 2nd grade teacher, I'll be a co-teacher in a new "dual language" program that merges both Yupik and English in the classroom.  My co-teacher is Yupik, thank goodness.  Her and I are taking on a classroom that juggles not only 2 languages, but 2 grades.





No comments:

Post a Comment